Like many refugee advocates, sections of the Greens have responded to last week’s events by calling for limits on the timeframe for detention and for management of the detention centres to be returned to government. For anyone committed to refugee rights, this is a serious tactical mistake. What refugee advocates should be demanding is that mandatory detention be abolished, not that it be restricted or managed better. Refugee supporters cannot afford to compromise over those key demands.
Countenancing mandatory detention — even with time-caps, even in nationalised and fully transparent facilities, even just for adults — in itself concedes the major parties’ point that detention is the correct response to refugees arriving by boat. If prominent voices in the pro-refugee camp endorse limited-timeframe detention as an acceptable option, the government of the day will always be able to find reasons to extend the time-period beyond the initially agreed parameters, and Australia’s detention policy will not have changed.” —The Right Response to Villawood
I haven’t posted anything in ages, and will continue to post nothing of substance until I have something to say. In the meantime, here’s some links:
- First up, the New Matilda has had some brilliant pieces of journalism recently so when y’all have the time you should definitely read; Then they came for the Right-Wing Columnists, Stop Bullying Job Seekers, Do we know the Chernobyl death toll?, Racism is so versatile and Native Title gets a shake up.
- The Drum has also had an unsually large amount of good articles so you can also check out; Criticism of Behrendt hides politcal agenda, ANZAC Marching in the 51st state, Green baiting and the art of product differentiation and Working towards a more productive society
- Why are deaths custody rising?
- The ETS and CPRS; Neoliberalism by any other name
- Securing Climate Credibility
- Mission Transformation in Libya
- False Pretense for war in Libya?
- The FMG Great Native Title swindle parts 1 and 2, because Andre Forrest is a bastard
- Judge Goldstone Revisited
- Rates, roads - and justice in Gaza